March 12, 2020
I would like to follow up on my email from last night regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and its potential impact on the ConVal School District.
As you may have heard, some schools have had closures due to the evolving nature of COVID-19. Staff have been working diligently to prepare for the unlikely case that the ConVal District may have to close schools.
If this happens, we are prepared to implement remote instruction. Earlier today, the state school board passed an emergency rule change to ED306.18 that will allow schools to use remote learning as a means to deliver instruction to students.
In the event of a closure, ConVal District middle and high school teachers will provide remote instruction via Google Classroom and the students’ district-issued Chromebooks.
What does this mean?
- Beginning today and tomorrow, students will bring their district-issued Chromebooks and chargers to and from home daily. This includes students who had previously left their Chromebooks at school.
- Students will also need to take home all books and/or additional materials that are required for learning.
- If we close, this will apply to all District buildings and staff, except for essential personnel. As a result, staff will not be readily available by phone. Therefore, please communicate via email instead.
- If we close, school counselors and nurses will be reaching out to provide support for students with 504 plans.
- If we close, special education case managers, service providers, and paraprofessionals will collaborate with classroom teachers to support individual student learning plans.
We realize that these measures may be disruptive. Please be assured that we would take this step out of an abundance of caution and in order to protect the health and well-being of the ConVal community.
Please refer to the district website for further updates. Additional details will be shared as soon as they become available.
Thank you in advance for your flexibility. We appreciate your understanding as we respond to this rapidly evolving situation.